Macaroni salad (Hawaiian).
This Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is the real deal. A no-frills, creamy mac salad that is the perfect side dish for any BBQ or Luau! Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is one of my biggest guilty pleasures.
Macaroni salad is a type of pasta salad, served cold made with cooked elbow macaroni and usually prepared with mayonnaise.
Much like potato salad or coleslaw in its use, it is often served as a side dish to barbecue, fried chicken, or other picnic style dishes.
It’s traditionally served on a lunch plate with the bold flavors of BBQ.
You can cook Macaroni salad (Hawaiian) using 10 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Macaroni salad (Hawaiian)
- You need 2 cups of whole milk.
- You need 2 cups of mayo.
- You need 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- You need 1 lb of macaroni.
- You need 1/4 cup of cider vinegar.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of grated yellow onion.
- You need 1/2 cup of carrots peeled and shredded.
- You need 1/2 cup of celery finely diced.
Mac salad is a staple side dish in Hawaii.
Our version is unique to the islands, often a bit tangy and loaded with add-ins like kamaboko and ‘ulu (breadfruit).
This Hawaiian Macaroni Salad Recipe comes from the famous chef Roy Yamaguchi of Roy’s Hawaiian restaurants.
I’m a big fan of Roy.
instructions Macaroni salad (Hawaiian)
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 cup mayonnaise, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Set aside..
In a large pot
Bring 4 quarts of water to a roiling bowl.
Add pasta and 1 Tablespoon of salt to the water and cook the pasta for 15 minutes, until it’s fat and very soft..
- Drain pasta and pour it back into the dried pasta pot..
Pour vinegar over pasta and stir until it’s evenly distributed and absorbed.
Pour pasta into a bowl and cool for 10 minutes..
- Add the milk and mayonnaise mixture and stir until evenly combined, then cool completely..
Add the grated onions, carrots, celery, and the remaining milk and mayonnaise to the pasta and mix until evenly distributed.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour for up to 2 days. Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve..
Authentic Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is a delicious and unique pasta salad that’s generously dressed in a super creamy dressing that’s both a little tangy and a little sweet.
Hawaiian Style Potato Macaroni Salad – A Hawaiian plate lunch special!
Creamy macaroni salad with tender chunks of potato, sweet peas, and carrots mixed in.
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is so fabulously creamy and simple.
This mayonnaise-based pasta salad makes a wonderful side for summer bbqs and picnics.
Recipes Source: https://www.cookpad.com/en